Parochialism for right and wrong!

There was a lot of hullabaloo when the World Kannada Conference was held a few days back. I may not Kannada very well but I am proud to be from Karnataka - I actually support the RCB and also the Karnataka Ranji team over any other team considering I have stayed in many parts of India. I call Karnataka my home and actually love Mysore.

Am I a less Kannadiga then anyone else? - I dont think so. Yes I agree that I have not made much efforts to learn the language like I am with Tamil and Bengali. But I don't think my state of origin or my limited knowledge of Kannada should come in the way.

While efforts are being done to promote Kannada, what is being done to make Karnataka proud? I dont think anyone would be proud of the tag given now. It was known as the IT capital, The hub of knowledge workers, the most progressive state but now.....?

If we need to be parochial let us also look at the development of the state, not just look at promoting the language. While I do understand that to many the conference was held with best intentions but to many it had a political undertone which would shadow or mask the number of corruption scandals.

If we were to remove the GDP of Bangalore from that of Karnataka then we have GDP which amongst the poorest states in the country. Very sad! It is a reflection of how poorly the state is fairing.

Jai Karnataka ??? Kannada?!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Curiosity Never Killed the Cat - In Memory of T C K Menon

Hype ? - about Hyperlocal Grocery

Flying Just Above the Ground - Thoughts on the Airline Industry Ecosystem