Thursday, December 16, 2010

An Indian in England


  • Do I like the English weather especially in November - no!
  • Do I like the so called royalty with their weird sense of righteousnesses - no!
  • Do I find the english comedy interesting - maybe!
  • Do I find EPL interesting - maybe!
  • The English at cricket - no!
  • The history - maybe!


Then why is it that I look forward to my stay at London. I cant put a finger on it. I wonder if there is a small sense of colonial hangover in me. But yes what I do like is that life is disciplined - no honks, no cut ins, polite people but then I wonder if this all this is practiced. Just a veneer. And maybe I am in a foreign land without worrying about the language and in some cases speak the local language much better than the locals. One up, I guess!

Anyway I like the place and the touch of class which comes with it. And I do like to go back there again. Walking around Knightsbridge. Interacting with locals but having said that I seem to see more non english than the english themselves - quite a surprise when I had got down at B'ham station and I heard Punjabi, Hindi, Bengali and a host of European languages...and certainly not english.

Which brings me to the point is that the world is a melting pot and geographies and languages are just small impediments to that. Over period of time people from all over will - visit all over and there will be more imbibing of culture and ideas.

I wonder how long these so called barriers of visas etc last. I hear Merkel and Sarkozy saying the multi culturalism has not worked and I am sure the French and the Germans are kidding themselves and going against the grain. Move with flow! And keeping with a parochial stance will not help.

No comments:

The Age of Distrust and The Age for Trust

Loss of Faith The last few years have seen an increasing ‘loss of faith’ against politicians and media (because all communication happens ...